Stop & Shop
LEED EB, Certified
- In 2007, we were the only supermarket chain selected by the U.S. Green Building Council (which develops and administers the nationally accepted LEED-EB standard for green buildings) to participate in a program for retailers integrating "green" technology into existing buildings.
- Green Products — We offer a variety of "green" household and cleaning products in our stores.
- Star Power! — Stop & Shop was named an ENERGY STAR LEADER in 2007 by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a result of our success in improving energy performance across our buildings.
- Energy Efficient Attributes — We were recognized for energy-efficient day lighting, T5 florescent lighting systems, automatic occupancy sensors,and refrigeration systems with high-efficiency fan motors.
- Greenhouse Gas — Energy use in refrigeration and food storage is necessary to provide safe, fresh quality food, so we've been working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in our stores, distribution centers and transport.
- Energy Saving Innovations — Newer stores are designed with reflective roofs, which reduce heat absorption and use less air conditioning in the summer, and special dimming systems that dim lights based on the amount of daylight harvested. Learn more about store innovation.
- Partners in Power — We partnered with energy solutions developer EnerNOC, Inc., to help reduce
- stress on the electric power grid during high peak demand to help reduce power consumption and prevent blackouts.
- More about Stop & Shop's LEED Building
See Greenopia reviews of companies, states, autos and the best of green living