Home Energy Efficiency -Go Green and Save Money
Go green and save money!
Go green and save money by completing a home energy audit. Whether you do it yourself, or hire a green energy consultant, assessing how much energy your home uses, evaluating areas for energy efficiency, creating and following through with a home energy checklist will result in reduced energy consumption, which conserves natural resources and saves money. Completing a home energy audit is one simple measure you can take towards environmentally friendly living.
One of the best ways to protect our natural resources is to conserve energy by living and working in energy-efficient buildings.
Home energy audits, completed by green energy consultants, typically include the following:
- A blower-door test which pinpoints critical drafts and air leaks. If leaks are found, measures must be taken to seal them.
- A duct test to assess air leaks within the ductwork system. Significant leaks must be sealed.
- Hot water-saving measures including low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators can be installed.
- Installation of energy-efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs is suggested, where the use makes sense.
- Checking insulation in attics and providing additional insulation where needed.
- Home energy checklist
See what a home energy audit looks like:
Here's what you can do RIGHT NOW:
States across the country offer a variety of home energy audit programs. Check out state programs below!
Do-it-yourself home energy audits
- Check out the ENERGY STAR Home Energy Yardstick
- Check out the U.S. Department of Energy, Do-It-Yourself Home Energy Assessments
- Check out the Do-It-Yourself Home Energy Audit e-book
Hire a professional home energy auditor
- Check out the ENERGY STAR for Homes Partner Locator
Do you have a specific question about home energy audits, environmentally friendly living, or green energy?
- Ask our GreenTowns Energy Advisors!
Featured Local Initiatives
Is this initiative listed in your community? Find out :
Enter your town or zip code
If this initiative is going on in your town, but not listed on GreenTowns, click below and add it to your community’s featured initiatives.Add a Local Initiative
Advisors for Home Energy Efficiency -Go Green And Save Money : what is this?
Ask a question
Learn more about this initiative